Thursday, April 16, 2009

Apr16 Summary (C13 Interpersonal and Collaborative Messages)

Chapter13 Summary

Why is interpersonal communication so important? First, it helps people understand each other better. Second, it helps people get more information and knowledge. Third, without interpersonal communication, our life would become a desert of emotion and friendship. Interpersonal communication is just like a bridge of understanding between people.

A person who has effective interpersonal communication skills will be open to the ideas of others and willing to put forward views of his or her own – both essential activities in the process of problem solving. So, in fact, interpersonal communication is the process of which two or more individuals communicate. You see this in many different forms every day, from something as normal as a smile or funny face. Interpersonal communication involves both verbal and nonverbal communication. Nonverbal communication refers to body movements or vocal variations that communicate without words. Nonverbal behavior manages and regulates conversation, displays emotions and feelings, provides feedback, and influences others. For example, when I am talking with a friend, I am smiling, nodding my head in agreement. But sometimes I am talking to someone that I am not agree with, but I will smile and seem interested in order to be polite. Those messages (the smile, for example) are not natural. However, my choice to deliver positive feedback is the result of a conscious decision. I want to deliver that feedback for whatever reason. From this chapter, I understand that sometimes we are not aware that we are sending nonverbal signals, and through kinesic behaviors, eye behavior, paralanguage, chronemics, proxemics and haptics to help me better understand my communicative methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment